LE GOSSIP

Back to All Threads

Posting temporarily disabled due to a rather aggressive spambot...

Richard Phillips paints on photographs
Is this true?
Basically just have to walk up to the edge of any of his paintings and its obvious lol. All his interns know.... Nov. 20, 2012, 10:17 a.m.
Someone told me that a while ago, I went to see the show, sure enough, the edges of his "paintings" have about an inch of photo-canvas that was left uncovered. Moreover, it seems like it was terribly rushed - the paint is thin, and there's large patches of uncovered photo showing through if you look close up. Nov. 20, 2012, 10:18 a.m.
How about believing your own eyes - if it looks like it's on top of a photograph, it probably is. Nov. 21, 2012, 1:17 p.m.
I think his show just ended at the Gagosian, dang, I wanted to go and see this for myself Nov. 25, 2012, 7:26 p.m.
Woops.... ( Paddy Johnson wrote the piece I was thinking of... Nov. 29, 2012, 11:35 p.m.
How is everyone so certain he paints on photographs? Wouldn't that be a huge liability, for Gagosian to say he doesn't and for him to lie about it? Or does Gagosian know, and they're lying about it? Dec. 1, 2012, 6:24 p.m.
There's definitely this "inside joke" kind of attitude about the work and its representation...and inside joke that you can only really get if you pay thousands upon thousands of dollars. Dec. 4, 2012, 5:21 p.m.
Speaking of Richard Phillips - if anyone's still reading this thread, and wants to see some of the most pretentious writing in existence about something as vapid as Richard Phillips:
http://www.adamlindemann.com/richard-phillips/
Dec. 6, 2012, 9:52 p.m.
I saw the show and the work is definitely paint on photographs. It is very obvious... you can see the photograph on the edges and all of the places where the surfaces isn't covered with paint. This is not what bothers me though. I don't care if an artist uses this technique. What bothers me is that Gagosian lied about the process. I asked the girl at the front to tell me about the process and she said that Richard Phillips paints from scratch using a grid method. Dec. 17, 2012, 3:31 p.m.
I asked the girl at the front desk too, after seeing the suspiciously pixellated edges. She told me he projects the photograph, then paints. I asked her if she's certain they're not on top of photographs, she said they're definitely oil on canvas. Jan. 10, 2013, 8:34 a.m.

© Gallery Confidential LLC 2012-2013