LE GOSSIP

Back to All Threads

Posting temporarily disabled due to a rather aggressive spambot...

Does interning at galleries get you any where in the art world?
I'm thinking of interning at a couple of different galleries but is it really worth the trouble or am I better off spending time making money as a bartender.
hahahaha NO Dec. 1, 2012, 5:37 p.m.
I got some nice dresses and shoes but had to return them after a week. Dec. 1, 2012, 5:44 p.m.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU Dec. 1, 2012, 5:57 p.m.
It depends on your willingness to go the extra mile.... Dec. 1, 2012, 6:12 p.m.
Actually-- someone answer this, what do you learn at a gallery that is at all useful? Dec. 3, 2012, 11:12 p.m.
Filling out spreadsheets while wearing impractical footwear. Oh, and if you're interning at a Chelsea gallery they give training seminars in the "you're so insignificant you might as well not exist" look. And you learn how to suck up to your superiors so eventually you can go up the ladder and treat others as badly as you're being treated right now. Dec. 4, 2012, 9:22 p.m.
It does, but only if you're good-looking, educated, wealthy and well-connected to begin with. And then only if you're lucky... Dec. 6, 2012, 8:10 p.m.
Sort of... if you can afford to work for free, go for it Dec. 15, 2012, 10:28 a.m.
Unless if the gallery is small and it's just you and the owner they are likely not to show you much as the intern... Since some hire a new intern every month they def wont want to give their Client list to the intern Jan. 3, 2013, 8:23 p.m.
I agree, with most of the above but: it seems like more and more students are expected to intern just to have something on their resume later, so now everyone's doing it. I feel like this expectation wasn't there 20 years ago Jan. 5, 2013, 7:17 a.m.
Definitely wasn't. But here's the thing-- why are undergraduates interning at galleries? especially undergraduate painters/sculptor/illustrators etc.? Under some misguided impression that this is how to gain exposure for their work? Jan. 5, 2013, 5:57 p.m.
Yes, to the preceding statement. When I was at school I was told to intern or volunteer as much as possible, and that way establish a network of people in the gallery world that could help me later on. I never did it, since I could never afford to work for free. Jan. 10, 2013, 8:40 a.m.

© Gallery Confidential LLC 2012-2013