LE GOSSIP

Back to All Threads

Posting temporarily disabled due to a rather aggressive spambot...

Pay for submission
Received emails from AIR gallery and beers-lambert gallery saying they came across my work and believe it fits into upcoming show where they send you the link but then you go to find out you have to pay to be considered to be in the show...I messages back the beers-lambert gallery owner and he said how much he liked my work and wanted to see it once in New York. Paid to have work considered for show didn't get in.
AIR is an artist co-op, which means they operate in a different way than commercial galleries. They survive on membership fees received from artists ($500 for an initiation fee, $200 a month after that) also, you have to help run the place. They only take a 20% commission on sales in exchange, and they're straight up about their business practice. As far as that kind of place goes, I think they're one of the better ones around. Jan. 5, 2013, 6:29 a.m.
Didn't realize Beers Lambert Contemporary did that though - they're London based, right? Did they contact you, encourage you to submit, and then reject you? Jan. 5, 2013, 6:33 a.m.
As long as galleries are up front about submission fees/pay to exhibit policies it's all right. Some are underhanded about it and don't let you know until you've already got your hopes up. Jan. 13, 2013, 9:39 p.m.
A list of co-ops couldn't hurt, they're not a bad way for artists to get started. Can anyone recommend a good one? March 17, 2013, 6:32 p.m.
How is paying for submission not a slow but steady move to the vanity gallery model of doing business? March 18, 2013, 9:22 p.m.
I like Space Womb gallery - it's not a vanity, but they're a young gallery in LIC that needs to cover the cost of promotional materials and reception wine - they do group juried shows and charge artists $100 for participation, but the shows are carefully curated, they don't take just anyone who pays... March 21, 2013, 2:43 p.m.
And, as regards the March 18th post - sort of, but not really... co-ops have been around for a long time, unlike vanity galleries, which will take literally anything, co-ops tend to be extremely selective. At their best, they can also create a community of artists that trust and help each other. At their worst, obviously, they border on vanities but tend to charge less... March 21, 2013, 2:47 p.m.

© Gallery Confidential LLC 2012-2013