LE GOSSIP

Back to All Threads

Posting temporarily disabled due to a rather aggressive spambot...

Critic plus artist statement writer
Didn't know what to categorize this as but there was a critic and she writes for art and America plus a few other magazines and she was giving a class on artist statement writing. Not sure how much people paid for the class as I was there working but got to listen in. She didn't teach much on writing an artist statement (class wasn't too long though) but she did mention how artists can hire her to write their statements for 300. One of the artists in the class she wrote their artist statement year before and at the end of the class the artist hired her to write another one for the upcoming show... The critic mentioned during the lesson how it works out for them because sometimes they have to write a review last minute and maybe they will use someone's work they are familiar with. Soon after I seen that the critic wrote a review for the artist that hired her to write the statements..
Wait, you are saying that someone basically bought their way into Art & America? Jan. 3, 2013, 9:32 p.m.
It wasn't in art and America... May have just been an online blog even...but 300 a statement can add up if you get her to write it every year or 6 months... Jan. 4, 2013, 7:09 p.m.
BTW - what's the critics name? I need an artist statement. Jan. 5, 2013, 6:45 a.m.
Does anybody know whether this is common practice amongst critics? What percentage of reviews is indirectly "paid for" via that method? Jan. 10, 2013, 8:36 a.m.
This is disgusting. March 31, 2013, 9:16 p.m.

© Gallery Confidential LLC 2012-2013