LE GOSSIP

Back to All Threads

Posting temporarily disabled due to a rather aggressive spambot...

Artisan Direct- worst art scam to date
Have been contacted by someone named Jayson Samuel about an NYC pop-up show- here's his e-mail:

Tuesday, January 29th, 2013

To – All Artists

From – Artisan Direct Ltd.

Re – Artisan Direct Ltd. – NYC Pop Up Show

LAST CALL

Artisan Direct Ltd, - NYC Pop Up Show

March 3 – 10th, 2013

The Roger Smith Hotel

Lexington and 47th Street – NYC

Cost - $850 - $2250

Contact Jayson Samuel for Full Information & Artist Prospectus

jayson@artisandirectltd.net

585-586-3535

From: "Christine Carrier" <christine@artisandirectltd.net>
Date: January 30, 2013, 1:59:43 PM EST
To: ____________
Cc: <jayson@artisandirectltd.net>
Subject: RE: artisan direct

Hello _______

My name is Christine Carrier, I am the New York Representative for Artisan
Direct, Ltd. and will be overseeing the Pop Up Show on site daily along with
Jayson Samuel.

On our website:www.artisandirectltd.net there is information on all our
scheduled events on the top left, click on Roger Smith Hotel for the
prospectus. We will host approximately 25 artists and would be delighted to
include you. The cost for exhibiting is $2,250 for a 10 x 6 wall space
which includes show marketing materials. Roger Smith Hotel is well known for
their art events and we are happy to be returning for our 2nd Pop Up in
March.

The Artist Showcase Spring in New York edition:www.artmarketpublications.com
will be distributed at the show and other Art Fairs in New York during
March.

Thank you for your inquiry, please contact me directly with any questions
you may have. I look forward to working with you.

Best,

Christine
christine@artisandirectltd.net
646 468 2635
www.artisandirectltd.net
www.jaysonsamuel.com
Feb. 10, 2013, 10:06 p.m.
I contacted him for further information, received the above back- $2,250 for a 10 by 6 wall space? Feb. 10, 2013, 10:09 p.m.
LET'S BUST THIS!
When is it happening? I think we should call their bluff. My prediction: this isn't even a pop-up space, just a well-orchestrated and total scam
Feb. 10, 2013, 10:11 p.m.
I'm kind of curious to see who will fall for this crap. March 3rd, count me in. Feb. 10, 2013, 10:12 p.m.
I've heard about something like this-- they literally, literally rented a ROOM in the hotel and called it a pop-up gallery. Apparently, some poor suckers from europe or even just out of state fell for it. Little did they know "pop-up" gallery really just meant hotel room. Feb. 10, 2013, 10:14 p.m.
If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere? Feb. 12, 2013, 12:20 p.m.
10 x 6? What is this wall made out of, precious stones? If anyone is actually considering doing this- don't. I'm a collector, have bought many paintings by emerging artists, and would never consider going to a place like this. And neither would anyone else I know who buys art. Feb. 16, 2013, 10:52 a.m.
Scammers now targeting (unknown) artists......oh god.

"Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies."
-Woody Allen
Feb. 20, 2013, 8:42 p.m.
these are the worst possible people to deal with! save yourself money and trouble! really disgusting, slimy weasles that do not care about the artists in the least. only the money they bleed from them. March 15, 2013, 1:33 a.m.
Artisan Direct is run by a guy named Jayson Samuel, who should probably be in jail. I just wrote a review for his "gallery" - a by-appointment place that is probably just a tax write-off. I did a little research into his operating model - it seems like he buys honest, reputable galleries and proceeds to turn them to shit, charges artists for representation, charges artists for marketing materials - all the things a gallery should be doing anyway. If you read carefully, Artisan Direct Ltd and the so-called Jayson Samuel Gallery are one and the same, located at the same address in upstate New York, although he might be branching out. The testimonials on his page look like they're all fake, no one actually mentions painting sales, just "significant national exposure" whatever the fuck that means March 17, 2013, 6:23 p.m.

© Gallery Confidential LLC 2012-2013