LE GOSSIP

Back to All Threads

Posting temporarily disabled due to a rather aggressive spambot...

Vanity Gallery Invasion
I've been hearing some places in Chelsea complaining that there are more and more vanity galleries each year. I know about Agora, but not any of the other ones. Does anyone know anything about this - which galleries not to waste time applying to?
Yeah, this is going to become the norm just like with everything else, pay to get paid. Even so called not vanity galleries are starting to charge to show work, or charge for services they should just render. March 7, 2013, 7:09 p.m.
The rumor is that a good deal of the non-ground floor galleries in Chelsea are vanities, with more springing up every year. Those big gallery buildings, where most of each floor is closed except for opening night - the galleries that are open aren't vanities, they need to sell paintings and therefore want foot traffic. But the vanities, that tend to have group shows charging each artist two or three thousand to exhibit only need to stay open on opening night, most of the artists that do this are from out of town, and only come in for opening night, when they see crowds of people at their opening just because of the general foot traffic during opening nights. They don't need to stay open the rest of the time, because they are making money from the artist fees and not the painting sales. They don't do any marketing, because they don't need to sell anything. So the only chance of an artist selling is actually on opening night. March 16, 2013, 9:21 a.m.
I used to get e-mails from Gallery Gora in Montreal - they were asking something like $250 to be in a group show. March 20, 2013, 10:03 p.m.

© Gallery Confidential LLC 2012-2013